Wednesday, February 07, 2007

I'm not actually a knitter

I am a chronic swatcher/frogger. Some people would like to call this a "Process Knitter."

I have some technical knowlege, I know a good deal of the jargon, and I "get" the in jokes. Shit, I can even eke out a finished object or two once in a while. However, my overall lack of ability to finish the things that I start is overwhelming and downright disheartening.

On some level, I've learned to acknowlege my condition and even start combatting it. Last year I finished five knitting projects: A lace bookmarkfor my mommie, a scarf for the best boyfriend ever, a pair of socks for an ex, a pair of socks for my grandfather, and a pair of socks for myself. By december 2006 I had cast on and made good progress on at least four more projects, only to let them languish in one of my various yarn boxes. I finished at least 10 swatches (including my first cables and my first slipped stitch color patterns), and began another 50 (later to rip them apart). I began learning how to spindle, and created my very first hand-spun yarn. I finished several books. I completed all my papers and passed all my classes.

I cooked a Christmas dinner (with the Best Boyfriend Ever, Lolita, and others).

This year I'm trying even harder.

I've set impending March deadlines for myself to finish projects left over from christmas, as well as my grandmother's birthday gift.

March 1: Slipper socks ("JUST LIKE YOUR AUNT LEENIE'S,") for Gram and Aunt Leenie (these will be finished in like a day if I just sit down and KNIT THEM).
March 16: Uncle Bobby's socks.
March 31: Uncle Chris's hat, Falling in Love socks for MEEEEEE.

I would also like to have at least one other knitting project finished by the April 6th, a pair of manly socks for my six-month-thingy with Owen, but I'm not gonna push myself to knit those. Even though I already bought the yarn. And I panic when I am under a deadline to buy a non-knitted gift. And I wouldn't know what else to get him.


My entries never make sense!

No comments: